Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Winter in New England

I live in Rhode Island. Yes, it's a beautiful state. There are the oceans, the little coves with the floating boats and the sea gulls flying through the air. There are the mansions in Newport, the old. historical houses, the history of being one of the oldest states in the United States...

And then there is the cold! Winter here, shall we say, can be quite brutal. Last year there was one Saturday where the temperature dropped to almost twenty below zero! I DON"T like being cold, in fact, every winter I go through the "I hate being cold" stage! And don't even get me started about how much I hate snow!!!

Last winter I wished that I had made more "warm" things for myself. I have a really bad habit (some might say that it is a good habit) of always thinking of others before I think of myself. I'm always making things and what I make I tend to give away. This summer however I told myself to "make some things for yourself for winter." And so I did! This is what I have so far and yes, I am still making things to give away to others as well. I believe in giving and being kind whenever I can.

This is what I've made for myself so far.


 Three pairs of knitted fingerless gloves. I love fingerless gloves! They keep the bottom of your fingers and your hands warm while allowing the tops of your fingers to move freely. This is an easy pattern and the gloves fit, well, like a glove!

Four knitted cowls in thick and quick yarn. I made one of these last year and it kept my neck, my ears and the lower part of my face (when I pulled it up) so nice and warm when I went for a walk.

One knitted red hat. I am also going to make a matching scarf for it.

One gray knitted hat with matching cowl.

A multi colored and very warm, double knit cowl. There are so many pretty colors in this one!

One knit scarf. I love the colors in this scarf, it will go with everything!

A knitted caplet. I love this, it fits so nice and feels so very soft. I'm thinking about adding a crochet flower to the middle of it. We shall see!
And a crochet corner to corner afghan. I love this pattern! It's easy and it's coming together really quickly. I'm using my left over and new Vanna's Choice yarn and I am loving how it is coming out.

I'm also working on another hat and cowl set (I didn't realize how many cowl's I had made until I wrote this post) and a navy blue shawl-coverlet for myself. But no matter what I make or how much I prepare myself for winter I never look forward to it. The Farmer's Almanac is saying that winter is going to be horrible in this area this year. Just hearing that is making me want to jump under the covers and hide until I see the first signs of spring again!!











1 comment:

  1. Marcy, I was just admiring and trying on the other day the "zig-zaggy" scarf you sent me some time ago. It's so soft and cozy! Thank you! You do such nice work! All these things pictured look so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete